Primary Years Programme (PYP)
IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to improve the teaching and learning of a diverse and inclusive community of students by delivering challenging, high quality programmes of international education that share a powerful vision.
IB Mission Statement
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect. To this end the organization works with schools, governments and international organizations to develop challenging programmes of international education and rigorous assessment. These programmes encourage students across the world to become active, compassionate and lifelong learners who understand that other people, with their differences, can also be right.
The Primary Years Programme is part of the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO). The IB offers programs at the elementary level (Primary Years Programme/ PYP), middle school level (Middle Years Programme/MYP), and the High School Level (Diploma Programme/ DP). All three programmes have the common goal of preparing students to go out into the world to make it a better place as INTERNATIONALLY MINDED people. They will be ready to embody the ATTRIBUTES OF THE LEARNER PROFILE: balanced, communicator, caring, inquirers, principled, open-minded, thinker, risk-taker, and knowledgeable.
Although PYP is a programme, it is also a PHILOSOPHY of education. The philosophy behind PYP holds these essential elements:
- Students learn best when they are empowered to construct their own KNOWLEDGE about the world around them. The teacher's role is to act as facilitator in this construction of knowledge.
- Learning should be significant, relevant, and global. This is done best through CONCEPTUAL learning since concepts can be applied to any time period and any place in the world.
- Help students reflect on their daily ATTITUDES as part of their development towards becoming internationally minded.
- Explicitly teach SKILLS (approaches to learning) that will enable students to be successful no matter which path they take after high school.
- Inspire students to take ACTION as a result of their learning. Authentic action is a signifier of relevant and significant curriculum.
All student receive instruction in an additional language. Hazeldale Elementary is excited to offer one hour of Spanish instruction every 6 school days to students. Our goal to is celebrate Spanish speaking cultures through learning the language.