School Learning Plan
Hazeldale Elementary School
Hazeldale is a diverse community serving 442 students. Students and families come from a variety of ethnic and cultural backgrounds. Hazeldale is a Title 1 school with 50% of students who qualify for free or reduced lunch, 49% White students, 30% Latino students, 11% Asian students, 8% of our students are multi-racial, 1% Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander, 1% American Indian/Alaska Native and less than 1% Black students. 29% of our students are English Language learners and 21% are students with disabilities. There are 17 languages spoken here at Hazeldale. Hazeldale is a strong community of staff, students and families. We have heard this message from the staff and families about what a wonderful community Hazeldale is.
The PD leadership team conducted data analysis of Hazeldale’s three year academic and behavior data using the ORID data analysis protocol. Our goal was to look at longitudinal data in order to better understand how our school was doing in supporting all of our students in learning.
Celebrations of Growth (overall highlights from the 2018-2019 Accountability Details Report)
- ELA growth for the 2nd year in a row - all levels 4 and 5
- Math growth for English learners - from a level 1 to a level 4
- On track to ELP - from a level 3 to a level 5
- ELA English learners median growth grew from 56 to 65 resulting in a 3-yr average rating of a level 5
- ELA Students w/Disabilities median growth grew from 46.5 to 66 resulting in a 3-yr average rating of a level 5
- ELA Hispanic/Latino students’ median growth percentile grew from 43.5 to 66 resulting in a 3-yr average rating of a level 5
- Math English Learners median growth percentile grew from 30 to 56 resulting in a 3-yr average rating from a level 1 to level 4
- Math Students w/Disabilities median growth percentile grew from 37 to 54.5 resulting in a 3-yr average rating from a level 1 to a level 3
We then conducted a SWOT analysis looking at our Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. The purpose of this analysis was to be transparent and honest about how we were doing in serving our students. We then did some goal setting, starting with long term goals and working backwards to smaller goals.
We believe that our strengths are grounded in our Hazeldale staff and community. Our teachers care and want to build relationships with our students, and are willing to work with one another and across teams. We have had consistency in staffing, leading to integrity in implementing our program. Teachers have a voice in Hazeldale and the opportunity to share their knowledge and ideas. Our non-teaching staff go above and beyond their job description because they care for our students. We notice that kids are different, not one size fits all and we think about the student and not the behavior.
Despite our willingness, it is hard to think outside the system. We continue to maintain the systems that perpetuate marginalization even though we want to do differently. There are still lots of traditional systems that exist at Hazeldale. We want our building to be used to build relationships and provide communal space to be responsive to our students and to build community across the grades. We want Hazeldale to be an inclusive space for students, families and staff. We want to engage better with our families to learn about how the learning experience is for their children. We want to hear their voices and provide an education that is relevant and meaningful.
(Story details here)
Date of Last Revision: November 18, 2020
District Goal: WE empower all students to achieve post-high school success.
WE Expect Excellence
- WE teach students knowledge and skills for our evolving world.
- WE seek, support, and recognize world-class employees.
- WE engage students with a variety of relevant and challenging learning experiences.
- WE create learning environments that promote student achievement.
WE Embrace Equity
- WE build honest, safe, and inclusive relationships with our diverse students and their families.
- WE provide needed support so that every student succeeds.
- WE work and learn in teams to understand student needs and improve learning outcomes.
- WE partner with our community to educate and serve students.